Thursday, July 24, 2008

Writing Camp

This summer I am working at a writing camp at UCSD. The camp is affiliated with the San Diego Area Writing Project (SDAWP). I participated in a very intense SDAWP institute for teachers last summer, making me eligible to be on the writing camp staff. I have been so excited about this opportunity for a few reasons. 
First, I love to teach writing. It's my favorite subject to teach! So the opportunity to focus on writing and only writing - without worrying about the 5 or 6 other subjects I normally have to cram in to a school day - was certainly welcome. 
Second, I view this camp experience as sort of a laboratory for my teaching. I get to experiment and try out different lesson ideas that I can then incorporate into my classroom practice this year. Plus, I have a teaching partner so I get the benefit of watching and pilfering her lessons, as well. 
And finally, most of the kids who are attending camp already love to write. The students are attentive, enthusiastic, and more than willing to try everything that we ask them to. It's so much fun to work on a skill with such eager participants. Of course there are a couple of exceptions -- those little boys who "hate to write" and whose parents are hoping and praying we can help them this summer! It wouldn't be any fun without a challenge . . .
Camp is four days a week from 8:30-11:30, and we have the same students for the entire three weeks. Today was the third day, and I am loving it. Writing camp is living up to all my expectations. Additionally, it's getting me out of my summer stir-crazy blues that start to set in around the end of July each year! And it's earning me a few extra bucks. 
Don't be surprised if you hear me say I'm going "back to camp" next summer!!

No comments: