Monday, July 7, 2008

Wisteria Candy Cottage

I decided to take a road trip today out to the Wisteria Candy Cottage, which is located where Highways 8 and 94 intersect in the small town of Boulevard. Imagine driving out to Viejas, and then driving for another half-hour beyond that!
Why do this? you are surely wondering. Why not just drive down to the mall and visit Sees Candy? Or better yet, go to the market and pick up some Hershey's!! Honestly, I don't even really eat candy that much. 
Well, I had read in the local news that the Wisteria Candy Cottage will soon be closing down after almost 90 years of existence. 90 years!! And I had never heard of it in the nine years I've lived in San Diego. Apparently, not many others have heard of it either since they are closing down due to a lack of business.
So, the Wisteria Candy Cottage is supposed to have amazing, hand made chocolates and candy, and I didn't want to miss out on this (sort of) local treasure before it went away.
But when I got there, they were closed!!
Yes, I had checked the days and hours online. Believe me I wasn't going to drive for an hour each way without first making sure that my destination was open on Mondays. There was a sign posted in the door which basically said that they ran out of candy this weekend and would be open again tomorrow once they've had a chance to make more. It seems that the publicity is helping the cottage get the business they've lacked for years.
Am I going to go back? Well, ya. Not tomorrow - probably some time next week. And believe me, I will call first!!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

well, if you want company...I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!!