Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Beach Day

I spent yesterday at the beach. Just sitting there all day long chatting with my friends Amy L. and Sally S. (and for a while, Emily too, until she abandoned us "old ladies"). I brought a book and my iPod with me, but I used neither. The three of us had no problem talk, talk, talking for about 5 hours straight.
At one point, the conversation turned toward how we ended up in San Diego and what we like about living here. I moved here from San Jose nine years ago this summer. There are many things I still miss, including: my family, my college friends, the San Jose Mercury News, the liberal climate, the diversity, trips to San Francisco, Hobee's restaurant, and Erik's Deli. But I don't think I would want to move back there. I've grown too accustomed to the natural beauty of San Diego, the way everyone naturally gravitates to being outdoors here because, well, how could you not?!
For a long time, I've thought that I'd like to try living in the Pacific Northwest - Seattle, or Portland maybe. It seems to me that this region of the U.S. really is the center of the low-key, outdoorsy, liberal culture that I love. 
It's so hard to think about moving though. I have made so many great friends in San Diego - a surrogate family, really. Through good times and bad, my friends make sure I never feel alone. A new city where I didn't know anyone? That would be such a difficult transition. Especially for a shy, introverted person like me. 
And my job at Sycamore Ridge is the most incredible teaching job in the universe. I don't know how I could ever be as happy at any other school.
I know if I'm going to do it, I probably should do it soon: I'm still young, single, and have no kids. A move to a different state would only get more complicated as time goes on. I don't feel ready, but would I ever be more ready? 

No comments: