Monday, July 21, 2008

Pan's Labyrinth

After watching Hellboy II  a while back, I decided to rent a movie called Pan's Labyrinth. Guillermo del Toro was the screenwriter and director of both movies. Pan's Layrinth is couple years old and is a Spanish film, with subtitles. 
Set in the 1940's, Pan's Labyrinth is about a young girl named Ofelia who is drawn in to a fantasy realm while living at her new stepfather's estate. The stepfather is a captain in the fascist Spain army and he is cruel man, being slowly squeezed by the guerilla forces in the nearby woods.
Although it's quite graphic at times (I had to peek from behind my fingers once or twice!), it is simply a beautiful movie. I can't recommend it highly enough. The cinematography is breathtaking and the special effects are like nothing I've ever seen. Add it to your Netflix queue! I promise, you won't be sorry!

No comments: