Friday, July 11, 2008

Dream Dinners

Okay, if you've talked to me for more than 5 minutes in the last year, you know that I am hooked on Dream Dinners. Dream Dinners is a place where I go once a month and prepare or assemble meals. I bring the 12 new meals home, pop them in my freezer, and then cook them throughout the month. There are two main benefits for me:
  • I am eating a healthy variety of food. When I'm just cooking for myself I tend to stick to the same three things: spaghetti, bean burritos, and cereal. Dream Dinners gets me eating way more balanced meals with actual vegetables.
  • I am saving money. It costs me about $140 a month and these meals pretty much cover all my lunches and dinners. That's less than I would spend at the grocery store if I were buying all the ingredients and cooking each night.
Problem is, I currently have a backup of food in my freezer. I go to Dream Dinners with Tara each month because by splitting a big order, we are able to save a significant amount of money. I want to keep going each month so that she can keep getting her meals. But I have been eating out a lot lately and I haven't been using my 3 meals a week like I should be! So now my freezer is jammed with food. I went out with my friend Amy L. tonight to El Torito for dinner and I felt so guilty thinking about the 15 or 20 entrees in my freezer! And the leftovers from 3 more in my refrigerator! And to top it all off, I brought half my El Torito food home with me!!

I keep trying to give meals away, cook for friends, etc. But my freezer remains full. I'm scheduled to go back and make 12 new meals in just two weeks!! So I'm determined to stay home and plow through some of this food, even if I have to eat Mango Salmon or (Soy) Chicken Risotto for breakfast! Anyone care to join me??

www.dreamdinners.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you have a wonderful Dream Dinners experience. Now you just need to eat them, I thaw 3 dinners each Sunday evening and it makes me not "go out to dinner" for convenience. It is the ultimate buy in bulk and save way to have a home cooked dinner and does cost less than buying the same ingredients at a grocery store. It is also very eco friendly, so much less packaging when you buy in bulk. We actually have children on our tasting panels; it is amazing to see what kids will really eat. We put kids in a box when we only feed them "white foods". Don’t miss the August menu, our guests voted for their favorites to be on the August Menu. You can get even more ideas on my blog Take care. http://stephanieallen.wordpress.com/