Sunday, January 25, 2009

Oscar Countdown

Okay, so the Academy Awards are right around the corner and this year, like every year, I'm determined to see the 5 Best Picture nominees before the big night. I'm on pace to do it this year, too...

I saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button a couple of weeks ago. Today, I watched Slumdog Millionaire. So, three more movies and three weeks to watch them!

My principal always has us do "forced rankings" when interviewing new teachers, so I will do the same in order to come up with my pick for the year's best movie. Out of the two I've seen so far, I'd rank them this way:
1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The two movies have some similarities. They are both love stories, and both span the main character's life from childhood through adulthood. Destiny is a major theme in each movie.

I really liked Benjamin Button. It was a big, sweeping, epic film with some nice, nuanced acting. I'd really like to see Taraji Henson win for her role as Benjamin's mother. And clearly this movie should win the makeup award.

But Slumdog Millionaire was such a different kind of story. I loved the way it played out, with each question of Jamal's "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" stint relating to a particular memory from his life.

I will probably try to see The Reader next weekend. Stay tuned...

No comments: