Friday, January 16, 2009

Move Over Angelina

I have a new girl crush. Her name is Diablo Cody, and I devour her written words. I was first introduced to Ms. Cody through the movie Juno, for which she wrote the screenplay. Juno was probably my favorite movie of 2007 and is definitely one of my all-time favorites, as well. If you've seen Juno, you know what is wonderful about it: the dialogue is pure rapid-fire wit. It's creative and sincere. By the end of the movie, you know how much the characters care about one another even though the script has never devolved into cliched drivel. If you haven't seen Juno, please rent it immediately. Here's a quote, Juno explaining how her dad came up with her unique name: "Yeah and I mean Zeus had tons of lays but I'm pretty sure Juno was his only wife. And apparently she was supposed to be super beautiful but really mean, like Diana Ross."

My affection for Diablo Cody deepened when, about a year ago, she began writing a periodic column for Entertainment Weekly. Entertainment Weekly is the only magazine I faithfully read. Diablo's columns are generally commentaries on pop culture for Generation Xers - past topics have included New Kids on the Block, the new Beverly Hills 90210 series, Judy Blume, and Land of the Lost. Her writing is so exceptional, funny, and brilliant. I usually have to read her column 3 or 4 times just to savor it.

Then, Diablo won the Academy Award for best screenplay last February. And that was when I think I really fell in love with her. Could anyone have looked cooler??

I know that Diablo wrote a book, Candy Girl, some time ago, chronicling her days as, yes, a stripper. I have some Barnes and Noble credit left over from Christmas, so I think I'm going to pick that book up tomorrow.

Any Ms. Cody has a new project out, a Showtime series called The United States of Tara. It looks very interesting and I'm tempted to subscribe to Showtime so I can check it out. Maybe I'll wait - the DVDs will probably come out just in time for my summer viewing pleasure. In the meantime, Diablo, I'll be waiting for your next Entertainment Weekly love letter!

No comments: