Thursday, January 29, 2009

Funny Teacher Stories

I still chuckle every time I look at that "hores" writing piece. Hee hee.

I don't have quite so many funny moments now that I teach fourth grade, but back when I worked with the little kids....

When I was in college, I had a job at a child-care center every weekday afternoon. I worked with first graders. Since I was honing my teaching skills, I would make up little assignments and activities for the kids to do. One of my projects was an alphabet book. Well, on the day we were working on a the letter "R," the kids helped me brainstorm a list of r-words to put on the board. Then, each student had to choose a word and write a sentence or draw a picture to go with it. One little girl proudly brought me her paper. She had chose "roots," and the picture did not show a tree or plant with its roots going down into the ground. No, instead it was a disturbingly realistic rendering of an African American slave being whipped by his white master while tied to a post. Apparently this child's mother had though it was a good idea to make the miniseries Roots into a family viewing experience.

A couple of years later, during my first year as a credentialed teacher, I was reading my second-graders' writing journals one afternoon. I came to Alicia, whose mom worked as a massage therapist and whose dad was an astrologer. No not an astronomer, and astrologer. As in, he drew detailed zodiac charts for people for a living. Anyway, Alicia's parents were especially hippy-ish and communicative with her and it was reflected in Alicia's journal entry: "I am really worried about my mom right now. She is so sick. She has this really bad disease called P.M.S"

When I moved to San Diego, I was placed in the first grade in the Del Mar district. I had my students scattered around the room one day doing various free-choice and centers-based activities, while I worked with small groups of readers. I noticed three of my boys snickering in the corner, and decided to go over and investigate. It turns out one boy was creating a 9"x12" book -or maybe it was a magazine- called "Big Boobs." These were the only words in the book, but there were plenty of illustrations.

Man, oh man - how I wish I had made copies of this stuff and saved it!

1 comment:

Coach Maley said...

I am a teacher in the inner-city of Chicago. I noticed that everyone loves to hear great teaching stories, especially my buddies who are in other lines of work. I'm sure you have the same experience. Every time something happens in class, I always think...wow I should write a book about that. I actually started my own blog for the kids in my school which they love and have gained me a lot of credibility.

kbahoops.blogspot.com