Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Reader

I had the day off yesterday, so I schlepped off to the movie theater to watch my third Oscar-nominated film for this year, The Reader. I read the book several years ago, and although it made enough of an impression on me where I remembered the plot quite while, I wouldn't say I loved it. The characters and storyline were not super compelling to me. So I probably would never have seen this movie if it weren't for the nomination.

Well, I didn't love the movie either. It seemed rather cold and unfeeling, just like Kate Winslet's character. Maybe this was the whole point, but I just did not find myself getting lost in the narrative and caring deeply about the characters like I did with Slumdog Millionaire. So I will have to place The Reader at the bottom of my ranking for now:
  1. Slumdog Millionaire
  2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  3. The Reader
Incidentally, I am so surprised that Gran Torino did not earn a nomination ahead of The Reader. In my opinion, it took much bigger risks in terms of its content and themes and was overall just a better movie.

Hopefully, I'll have a chance before next Sunday to see the other two nominees!!

No comments: