Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 11

Every morning, my students and I begin the day by writing in "Freewrite Notebooks." Everyone writes on a topic of choice, and students who would like to are able to share their writing aloud. This week, one of my students shared this lovely piece she had written. I don't think she would mind my passing it on. (Keep in mind that this family was living in Boston at the time - the two planes that crashed into the twin towers originated in Boston). I've corrected the spelling and left out any proper names for confidentiality:

September 11, 2001
A sad day especially for me. My uncle had his wedding September 12, 2001, so my dad was flying out on September 11, 2001. But thank goodness the flight was full. But I just think about it every day, how my dad could be gone forever and my little brother was just born. I was 2 and I think about how thankful I am and lucky I am for him to still be with me alive. And my first friend that we met at 6 months old, her dad worked at that twin tower building but amazingly took the day off. God let us both have our fathers today and I thank him so I pray happily to God every single September 11th. I will never forget that moment in my life. It's true. Ask my dad. The End

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen! I got chills when I read her statement on both her and her friend having been given their families.

Jennifer H. said...

I know - It was really hard for me not to start crying when she read this aloud in class on Monday morning. Really hard. We're talking when Rontu dies in Island of the Blue Dolphins hard.