Monday, September 8, 2008

The Revenge of Pepe

My adventures with wildlife continued on Friday morning as Brandy and I went out for out 5:00 jog.
First of all, leaving my apartment complex, we saw a coyote trotting through the parking lot. It looked young, a lot like this one in the picture:It always blows me away how fearless suburban coyotes are. This one was not exception. When it saw us, it trotted a little ways away, jumped up onto the raised flowerbed, then just turned around and stared at us. Brandy did not even see it, fortunately - the last thing I wanted was her barking and lunging at a coyote! As we trotted past, coyote kept it's eyes trained on me, sizing me up without flinching or backing away at all. What a cool animal!!
So, we made it out of the parking lot and had just turned the corner on my new, improved running route when we were once again startled by a rustle from the bushes. I screamed and jumped, but it was too late...we had been sprayed. Brandy was between me and the skunk, so she caught the brunt of it, poor girl. I swore five or six times in a row, and we turned around and trotted back home.
The smell was actually not too strong, I guess because it was just a little skunk. But I had to throw away my running pants and Brandy's leash, and Brandy needed two baths, one of them with tomato juice. We are stink-free now! I dearly hope we've fulfilled our skunk quota for the month!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Got to comment on this one... When I lived in Rottenwood, well, I got an edcuation on skunks. You mix a bottle Hydrogen peroxide with a squirt of soap in a bowl of water. Pour half on the pet, pour on some baking soda, scrub, and pour the rest of water mixture. Yep, Gunnar got hit a few times! Ash