Monday, July 30, 2007

Maui Day 6

Today started off pretty gray and overcast. I sort of set out without a real goal in mind. I drove first down to almost the southernmost tip of the island, stopping in Makena for a little walk along the beach/lava rocks. The Wailea/Makena resort area is clean and manicured, with lots of golf courses and huge, gleaming hotels. I'm glad I didn't stay down there - it's a different kind of experience than I was looking for.

Around 11, I stopped in Kihei for a cup of coffee. Kihei is very cute - not too different from Lahaina, but not quite as walkable.

I then drove up to the north shore of the island, detouring through Wailuku and Kahului, the more urban areas of Maui. Pretty ugly - not much to see here.

I then veered east along the northern coast through Pa'ia. I decided to stop for lunch at Mama's Fish House, a place I have heard mentioned several times as a must-try in Maui. I was not disappointed. The walkway outside had very cool pavers in the shape of interlocking geckos, like an Escher drawing. Mama's sits right on a small white sand beach, with lovely clear blue water. The ahi poke was so fresh, I swear they must have just grabbed it out of the ocean after I ordered it. I tried opah for my entree, which looks like this when alive:
Mama's fish house was definitely all it's cracked up to be, but verrrrrry pricey. That will be my "fancy meal" for the trip!


From there, I drove inland and uphill to Makawao, which Maui Revealed describes as "where people with dreadlocks, backpacks and bare feet share the streets with the well-groomed, cellphone-toting business crowd." It reminded me a little of downtown Los Gatos, but much smaller. I walked around for a bit, enjoyed some shave ice, and then headed back to the hotel.

That's about it for today . . . tomorrow is my last day in Maui :(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have just written a great travel book for Maui! Nice! I'd trust your recommendations. I feel like I was there. Excellent tip about the mountain van! Mmm... opah! That's good stuff! Can't wait to read the finale... well, unfortunately that means back to the mainland... Can't wait to see the rest of the pics.
Travel safely!
l, j

Ash said...

Thanks for all the detail. So informative and interesting. Youre so adventurous. I would have just sat my butt on the beach and thought Id had a great time - think of all Id miss!! Now I know what to do whenever I find myself there next (its only been 15 years). Excited to see all of your pics! The opah got me singing the ompah-lompah song (or however you spell it). This blog was SUCH a good idea.

Jennifer H. said...

Thanks gals, I've had fun writing this blog. And truly, as a scrapbooker, I feel like my work is already done!!
Oh, and it would have been ALOT cheaper to spend the week sitting on the beach!!