Saturday, July 28, 2007

Maui Day 4

The luau I attended was at the Hyatt Regency in Ka'anapali. I arrived about an hour early so I could walk around the hotel a little. It is a very luxurious resort. There is a tea garden inside with several exotic species of birds, including smallish flamingos.The show itself was just okay. It was about what I expected, I guess. On the plus side, the food was delicious. However, the dancers looked pretty bored, and the seating arrangement made it hard for me to see from my location. I satisfied my curiosity in the luau department, but can't say I'd go to one again. I met some nice people once again - Jeff and Debbie from New Jersey, and a family of 5 from North Carolina. The oldest daughter was having trouble tearing herself away from Harry Potter 7 in order watch the show. I understood completely :)

I sure am meeting a lot of East Coasters on this trip. They must be getting bored with the Bahamas and Florida.

The best part of the evening, ironically, came as I was leaving. I was walking back to my car and was pretty much alone since most of the luau watchers were staying at the hotel. It was dark, but there was a full moon, and I rounded a corner to come upon a stunning view. The moon was just above the tops of the palm trees and was reflecting in a long white streak across the water. The coast line curved inward in front of me and I could see the lights of Lahaina across the small bay. The sky itself was a deep dark blue. The trees were swaying slightly in the breeze and the waves were crashing on the beach. The whole effect was indescribably beautiful, and I wonder if I would have noticed had I not been quietly walking alone. I tried to take a picture, but I do not carry the correct photographic equipment to capture a nighttime landscape. I'm keeping my eye out for a professional photograph or print that captures something similar - I think that would be a fitting souvenir of this trip.

Today was my mid-vacation rest day. I took it easy today: a jog in the morning, reading by the pool, stopped by the Salvation Army store for some warm clothes for tomorrow's adventure, went to see the Simpsons movie, ate some shaved ice, more reading by the pool. I'm off to fill up the gas tank in a minute. I'm gearing up for an early morning drive (and by early, I mean 3 A.M.) up to the top of Haleakala to watch the sunrise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen!
Thanks for the description of a "luau". I think if that decision should come my way.... I'll skip going.
The beauty of the sunsets, breezes, crashing waves of Hawaii have brought tears to my eyes before. It is hard to top those anywhere else in the world!!
Look forward to your Day 5 events.
Love,
Deb