Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Maui Day 1

I’m watching as the sun slowly descends toward the horizon. This has been a long, slow sunset. Long and slow, like everything in Hawaii. I know that it will take a few days to adjust to the island pace. Someone is blowing a conch, I’ve read somewhere that this is done at sunset in Hawaii. I hear some faint singing, too. There must be a luau or dinner show nearby.

I arrived this afternoon around 1:15. I had a very long wait for my bags, which I’m pretty sure were the last ones from my flight to come tumbling out onto the carousel.

The weather is humid, about 90 degrees, but very sticky. I’m glad I brought many changes of clothes.

I drove my rented black Chevy Cobalt to WalMart after leaving the airport. Stocked up on some supplies – water, bread, peanut butter . . .

My hotel, Lahaina Shores, is awesome. Perfect location, just down the street from downtown Lahaina. The beach that the property sits on has small waves and warm water. I sat in the ocean water for about 15 minutes just after I got here. I have a spacious, well-stocked, clean room with an ocean view. I am on the fourth floor. It is perfect. I sit here on my balcony watching the sunset and drinking a beer. Life is good.

Just a while ago, I walked up Front Street to Cheeseburger in Paradise. I chose to sit in the upstairs bar, because there was no wait. While enjoying my Mahi Mahi and Mai Tai, the bartender let me know that the gentleman at the end of the bar would like to buy my next drink. Lord above, he must have been close to 60. I declined.

I left the restaurant and began walking south. Within minutes, a clearly intoxicated gentleman stated, "Hello! You look great! I just wanted to let you know that!" This one was probably closer to 65. I grinned and thanked him. It’s not every day I am complimented with so much enthusiasm. I decided to come on back to my balcony to enjoy the sunset.

It’s 10 o’clock in San Diego, and I’m getting sleepy – it’s been a long day. Maybe I’ll go to bed early, since I have booked a snorkel trip at 7:30 tomorrow morning. I will definitely keep the door open, so I can fall asleep to the sound of the ocean.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jen!

Wow, what a wonderful time you are having. Doug and I honeymooned on Maui--we stayed in a little bungalow in Kehei.

Mahalo!
Cara

Unknown said...

PS---

Make sure to check out the Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key every Tuesday night. Here is the link:


http://www.slackkey.com/schedule.htm