Thursday, July 26, 2007

Maui Day 2

I woke up early today, which was not difficult at all due to the 3-hour time difference. I drove down to Maaleaa harbor for my 7:30 snorkel cruise on the Four Winds II, a huge sailing catamaran.

When I checked in, they gave me a teal wristband to wear since I was "solo" - so that the lifeguard could be sure to keep an extra careful eye on me.
I sat on the top deck, next to the captain's spot, and quickly made friends with the people around me: a mother-daughter pair from Connecticut, a vacationing couple from Houston, and honeymooners from Orange County.

Captain John, our weathered pilot, spotted my wristband and said, "They made you wear that? So embarrassing. Here, let's get that off." I told him I didn't mind, but he wouldn't hear of it. He yanked and pulled until the wristband popped off. So, no one would be keeping an eye on me, I guess.


The hour long trip out to Molokini was uneventful. I chatted with my neighbors, all very friendly and nice people. Captain John regaled us with his island knowledge, and filled us in on his Chicago Bears obsession. We spent about two hours snorkeling.
Here are a couple of pictures.















The crew served a wonderful barbecued lunch, and then we headed back.
We spent a little time observing sea turtles just before pulling into the harbor. What is it that makes these huge swimming reptiles so darn cute?? Especially after the movie "Finding Nemo." I learned that a group of sea turtles is called a bale.
Now I'm back at the hotel, and the water is shut off for a bit, so I am biding my time until I can shower and clean up. I have a reservations for a dinner show called "Warren and Anabelle's."
Maui Revealed guidebook says I should not miss it, so I look forward to an amazing show!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen!!!

I didn't know you were going to Hawaii! Sounds like you are have a wonderful time.

Love you and miss talking to you lately!!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Jen! Love the accounts of the "mature" men flirting with you! Have fun! Very proud of your brave travels!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Jen,

Those are gorgeous pictures of you underwater...and I had no idea that a group of sea turtles is called a bale. I am so happy that your last two days have been so full of life! Will keep checking in with your blog (what a great idea) to see how it's going.

Have a wonderful evening.

Always,
Christine Kane

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
Enjoy the relaxing Hawaii atmosphere. How wonderful to be at the beach! Thanks for the updates. I'll keep checking and see you when you get back.
Amy