Friday, September 4, 2009

I Would Have Shown These Speeches, Too

I have resisted jumping into the political fray, but I feel compelled to throw out my two cents today. I had to send home permission notes with my students this afternoon, informing parents that I will be broadcasting President Obama's education speech on Tuesday morning. It made me profoundly sad that I had to do this. And it makes me even sadder to think that some parents of my students may request that their children do not watch. The timing of this speech is unfortunate, as it comes in the middle of the polarizing debate on health care reform. I understand that many people disagree with they president's agenda, but I guess I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the absolute disdain that would prompt a parent to keep their child home from school rather than allow them to watch this speech.

To me, Tuesday's speech is not about liberal or conservative, Republican or Democrat. It's about respect for our Commander in Chief. When the president of the United States says "Study hard and do well in school," I think school children will sit up and listen. Too bad Presidents Clinton and Bush did not take an opportunity to speak directly to students. I can say without a shred of doubt that I would have shown my students both of them. I am glad that President Obama has decided to pick up the thread.

I especially enjoyed Reagan's speech, with the 1988 fashions and the "Just Say No" message from Nancy. And when he talks about his first ride in an "automobile" - priceless. But if you listen to the whole thing, it's, well, a wee bit political.

And one final thought: Sometimes the best way to stoke a child's curiousity is to deny them an experience. Controversy can be powerful advertising and I think the kids who aren't allowed to watch this speech are only going to wonder what all of the fuss is about.

President George H.W. Bush's speech

President Reagan's speech

No comments: