Sunday, May 31, 2009

It Pays to Speak Up 2

Then, about a year ago, I went to Oggi's with a friend. We decided to sit at the bar for dinner since the restaurant was quite crowded. We received such poor service it was almost comical. There were two hot, young bartender/waitresses working behind the counter, and they would regularly serve the groups of lecherous, obnoxious guys to the right and left of us, but we could not get a drink or food order in without waving flares and flashing signal lights. Chasing tips, I guess? That was what made the situation so bad - it's one thing if you can see that the servers are overworked and running their asses off, doing the best they can. I would never begrudge waiters in that situation. But these gals would lean over the bar and have minutes-long flirtatious conversations with the testosterone crew, while I sat there for 10 minutes with an empty glass.

After we finished our food, I asked to speak to a manager (I was pretty emboldened two beers in...). I explained to her that I just wanted her to be aware of the situation, that I was used to such great service at Oggi's and that tonight was such a marked contrast, etc., etc. And that led to - you guessed it - sincere apologies and our bill being swiftly retracted.

Once again, I was so happy to see Oggi's step up to the plate. Admittedly, I felt a wee bit guilty knowing that those two servers were probably reprimanded. However, because of that manager's attention, I have been back on many occasions since...and have been pleased with the service each and every time!

No comments: