Saturday, April 18, 2009

Summer Movie Preview

I just received my Summer Movie Preview issue of Entertainment Weekly in the mail: my favorite issue of the year! I get all excited about summer blockbusters, beginning with the intense trailers around Christmas time. I'm looking forward to the warm weather as well as Johnny, Christian, Shia, and Hugh on the big screen and in surround sound. Here's my "to see" list for the upcoming months:
  • May 1: Wolverine
  • May 8: Star Trek
  • May 21: Terminator
  • June 5: The Hangover
  • June 19: Year One
  • June 24: Transformers
  • July 1: Public Enemies
  • July 10: Bruno
  • July 15: Harry Potter
  • July 31: Funny People
Then, on August 14, a film version of The Time Traveler's Wife will be released. This is one of the most incredible books ever written - it's my favorite love story in print. Now, some of the books I adore have been made into marvelous movies: Like Water for Chocolate, Harry Potter, Field of Dreams, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Color Purple to name a few.
But, based on the poor reviews, I never saw the movie versions of Beloved, The Kite Runner or The DaVinci Code. I thought The Joy Luck Club and Interview With a Vampire movies were just okay, and I really did not like the screen versions of Memoirs of a Geisha, Hannibal, and most everything written by Stephen King (of course Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption are notable exceptions).

What's more, The Time Traveler's Wife will star Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana, two fairly one-dimensional actors in my opinion. So, since I don't want this narrative ruined by a crappy movie, I think I'll leave The Time Traveler's Wife off my must-see list for now, with an option to revise my list should it receive really stellar reviews!

No comments: