Monday, March 23, 2009

Corey Wimberley

At the A's spring training game on Saturday, I was particularly intrigued by infielder Corey Wimberly. Why? Because as he walked up to the plate for his first at-bat, I was compelled to ask - aloud - whether Oakland is now drafting middle-schoolers. Corey Wimberly is tiny! He couldn't be more that 5'7". And being pretty petite myself, I always find myself drawn to the "little guy." (I also love the Chargers' Darren Sproles - but who doesn't?) It makes sense, really. Billy Beane's "Moneyball" management philosophy has long been tied to the on-base percentage and with a strike zone that small, Wimberly must draw a ton of walks. He could be the next Rickey! And Corey was even more endearing because he was sporting the old-school stirrups instead of having his damn pants dragging in the dirt like so many of the players do now.

I don't know what this guy's stats are like, and it likely doesn't matter as he probably won't be on the roster this year. But he caught my eye. Go Corey!

No comments: