Saturday, August 22, 2009

It's not 'cause I don't like the taste...

When you look up animal rights activism in the dictionary, you are not going to see my picture next to the definition. I believe in respecting the lives of animals as much as possible, but I do, perhaps selfishly, put my own health and well-being above that of my four-legged and feathered friends. For example:
  • I don't eat most meat, but I do eat seafood.
  • I eschew leather, unless I'm buying running shoes.
  • I eat eggs, but I only buy the organic, cage-free cartons.
  • I enjoy the San Diego Zoo, but I'm not a big fan of Sea World.
  • And, as I tell anyone who asks, KFC still smells delicious when I drive by.
My pseudo-vegetarianism/avoidance of animal products is a completely personal choice, and not a lifestyle I try to impose on others. How could I, when the nuances of my eating and purchasing are so inconsistent? I find it pretty easy to be a vegetarian in southern California, where soy products are so readily available. But the fact is, if I was on a deserted island and the only way to live was by eating meat, would I? You're damn right I would. And really, those who try to live an all-out vegan lifestyle are in for a slippery slope...Do you kill spiders in your house? How about those little critters that die in the harvesting of vegetables? What about the gelatin that coats film and car tires?

But if animals are going to be raised for human consumption, I don't think it's too much to ask that they have a healthy - if protracted - life. There are a few instances of animal cruelty that I do find disturbing and, should friends seem interested, I request the following:
  • Go for the cage-free or free-range products.
  • Please don't order the veal. I'm sure it's delicious, but the life of a veal calf is a sad affair. You can google it if you don't know what I mean.
  • Ditto for foie gras. It's pretty nauseating the way it's produced.
And I do have one other animal issue that's been on my mind lately, but more about that tomorrow...

No comments: