Sunday, August 23, 2009

And it's not 'cause it doesn't look fun...

Visiting the Del Mar Race Track is, for many, a San Diego summer tradition. From what I have heard, a day at the races is an incredibly fun experience. I love spending a few hours at a daytime baseball game, so in my imagination, a trip to the track is slightly classier, faster-paced version of a trip to Petco Park. There are even free concerts on Fridays after the races are finished. However, as you've probably guessed by now, I have never been to a horse race, even though I've lived in San Diego for 10 years now. And I don't think I ever will.

Every summer during the short racing season, I am always saddened by the number of euthanizations that are reported in the local paper. Barbaro and Eight Belles were two high-profile horses who were put down recently following debilitating injuries. At the Del Mar Track this year, 10 horses have been put down after breaking legs during warm-ups or races. Ten horses in just one month. And as I understand it, many still-young race horses are also killed when their careers are in decline and they are no longer fast enough to compete in their field. There's no other way to put it: this really bothers me.

As I said in my animal-related post yesterday, my choices are completely personal and you won't see me joining PETA in picketing the front gates of Del Mar. I wouldn't have a leg to stand on anyway, as I have been to the zoo probably 100 times since I moved here, I practically inhale sushi, and should my doggie ever suffer from a painful terminal illness, I would choose to euthanize her, too.

I believe that those involved in the sport of horse racing love their animals and are distressed when they are hurt. But for now, for me, this sport is just too risky, so until the number of life-ending injuries decreases dramatically, this San Diegan won't be patronizing the race track.

No comments: