Tuesday, June 2, 2009

It Pays to Speak Up 3

This is the final installment of my "It Pays to Speak Up" or "How you sometimes get free stuff when you complain" series.

About two weeks ago, I decided to send a little note to that crack-infused coffee and tea establishment, Starbucks. This was not actually a letter of complaint, as what I really wanted to do was compliment my local Carmel Mountain Starbucks for their exceptional daily service. So, I logged on to Starbucks.com and sent a brief email to the customer service department. I detailed how clean and well-stocked the lobby always is. I explained how happy I am that every morning when I walk in, the baristas greet me cheerfully and make my drink quickly and competently. I wanted to make sure that the employees and management at this Starbucks received recognition for the great job that they do every day.

I did go on in my email, however, to compare this store with another Starbucks that I've visited with some regularity. Starbucks #2 seems to have a permanent slow-motion setting. The employees there are best described as distracted. Whether at the register or behind the espresso machine, they work super slowly and my drink never seems to come out quite right. But what really grosses me out are the crumbs and beverage spills that are all over the tables and counters every time I visit.

You see, I probably never would have been motivated to compliment Starbucks #1 had I not seen the contrast of Starbucks #2. I felt compelled to let the company know. And by this time, of course, I will admit I was hoping to score a free beverage. And I was not disappointed. Here is the reply I received from Starbucks customer service:
Hello Jennifer,
Thanks for telling us about your great experience at our Carmel Mountain store. We love to hear feedback like this. I will pass on your comments to their supervisor so that they will receive the praise they deserve.
Furthermore, I am truly sorry that you had such disappointing visits at our ____ store. This is obviously not the experience we want you to have at our stores.
I want you to know that we take your concerns seriously and that I will share this not only with departments here in our corporate office, but also with the manager and district manager of the store.
We have made a promise to our customers to provide outstanding service. I know that this is a primary reason why you visit Starbucks and I understand how disappointing it is when we let you down.
We pride ourselves on great service and I would love to invite you back into our stores for the chance to make up for a visit that you did not enjoy. What I will do is mail you some beverage coupons so that your next drink will be on us.
Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to fix something that is wrong. I assure you that we will take this as an opportunity to improve and that we understand that you have come to expect fantastic service from Starbucks.
If there are any questions or concerns that I have not been able to address, please don't hesitate to call us at 800 23-LATTE (235-2883), we are here Monday through Friday from 5:00 AM to 6:00 PM (PST).
Thank you again,
Alyssa A.
Customer Relations Representative
Starbucks Coffee Company
And sure enough, a few days later, I received two free drink coupons in the mail! Yippee!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scammer!

Anonymous said...

Freeloader!

Anonymous said...

Flat-leaver!

Anonymous said...

Deadbeat!

Anonymous said...

Scrounger!