Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My Cruise - Part 3

Okay, I promise this will be the last Ensenada Cruise posting! As always, spa weekend was a joyful, relaxing time with girlfriends. However, I will not be running out to book my next cruise anytime soon. I'm about to let my cynical side show, because there were a few things that I did not love about cruising...
  • The first thing we had to do when we got on board was stand out in the blazing-hot direct sunlight for 20 minutes for a lifeboat drill. This is annoying. I know it's important for safety, but it's still annoying.
  • I felt very confined. It was weird, and it was a feeling I did not anticipate. It was like being stuck in the hotel the whole time you're on vacation.
  • The was a whole "rah-rah" summer-camp vibe to the experience. There were all kinds of activities to participate in, but they mostly seemed second-rate and cheesy. And the crew of the ship was forever trying to get everyone to scream and cheer about what a great time we were having.
  • From the drinks to the spa treatments, the on-board bonus items were expensive. I nearly doubled my cruise cost with these extras. Yes, I realize this was a choice and I could have done without, but part of the fun of being on vacation is springing for those little extras. And really, $175 for a 50-minute massage? Mon dieu! $10 per mixed drink (souvenier cup included!) was a little rich for my blood,too.
  • The tipping structure. Every drink ordered automatically included a 15% gratuity. I usually added another dollar because I am a sucker. At the end of the vacation, everyone is also expected to tip the waiter, headwaiter, assistant waiter, and cabin attendant. After 3 days, I was beginning to feel like a cruise is just one big shake-down.
  • With so little to do on board, you spend a lot of time eating. And eating. And eating....
  • The day we spent at sea would have been ideal for laying out by the pool relaxing, had it not been about 40 degrees up there! Why not get in the hot tub, you ask? Well, because the two spas were both full to the brim with the same greased-up, beer-swilling people- all. day. long. They did not seem to be getting out to use the restroom, either.
  • And I think the most challenging part of the cruise for me was the not-so-luxurious accomodations. Our rooms were cramped, so there was no way to comfortably "hang out" and chat. And the bathroom was just like the ones on airplanes, only with a closet-sized shower.
I had a great time with the girls and I'm glad I tried a cruise because I've always been curious about them. I now feel like I can check off cruising on the long list of "Things to Experience in Life." But next time, I think I'll just opt for flying straight to the resort instead!

No comments: