Friday, October 24, 2008

The Ex-List

Okay, here I go again. I'm hooked on a new television show. Swingtown is gone, probably forever. I tried renting season one of Dexter, but was so grossed out by the first episode that I didn't want to continue watching. Lost and American Idol are both months away, and the current season of Weeds won't be out on DVD until next summer. So, I read about this show The Ex-List in the local paper because it is filmed in Ocean Beach. I thought I'd give it a look if for no other reason than to check out the scenery.

From the first 15 minutes of The Ex-List, I was completely sucked in. Here is what I love about this show...
  • The main character Bella, is a sweet, independent 33 year-old woman searching for the love of her life. I can relate :)
  • The premise is cute - Bella is re-dating ex-boyfriends because an eerily gifted fortune teller predicted that Bella will marry an ex within the year... or she will never marry at all. It sounds dumb, but it really works in the context of a weekly show.
  • The supporting characters are hilarious, especially Bella's engaged younger sister, Daphne, and the fortune teller, Marina.
  • The writing is smart and the plot twists are really funny: a hideous mole, pretending to be a "clingy girlfriend," "Google Your Ex Smackdown," and the funniest so far: waxing mishaps, complete with the use of a merkin (look it up).

No comments: