Friday, January 1, 2010

You Are a Wise Person

I received this email yesterday from one of my students.
Hi Ms.Howard!! I hope you had a great winter vacation! And a happy new year!
On the New Year's day,I am going to go to K's sleepover birthday party!
Well actually what I was going to really tell you was I've been getting online
put-downs(several of emails that hurted my feelings) from J. I told my parents,
and they called her a stuck-up,(I thought it was too harsh)
and said to break the friendship between us. You are a wise person besides my parents,
so please tell me what to do... Thank you! (Sorry if I'm bothering you...)
--
-C

The future blackberry owner (April 2010)
If you've ever wondered when girl drama starts, the answer is early. Helping young ladies with "hurted feelings" is part of my job, and I remember that hurt all too well from my own elementary school days. I am honored that C thinks I am a wise person. I have faith that these girls will be buddies again soon - I may not even have to say a word as it's likely they'll have it all figured out by the time class starts up again on Monday. However, there is no way for me to fully prepare my girls for the angst-ridden, teary, hormonal, "mean girls," 'tween years ahead of them. It's definitely not easy being a girl!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My tax dollars hard at work :-)

Jennifer H. said...

My district is funded almost entirely by local property taxes, so sorry - your money's no good here :-) But, yes, teaching includes a good deal of social guidance that's not necessarily in the lesson plans. If my efforts contribute to a more peaceful, enlightened society in the long run, I don't have too much problem with it.