Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Man on Wire

I watched a lovely little documentary tonight: Man on Wire. It's about tightrope walker Philippe Petit, who traveled between the roofs of the twin towers just a few months before I was born in 1974.

Man on Wire is a movie about risk and reward, about chasing a passion, and about achieving the impossible. I heartily recommend it. Petit knew he could very well die in pursuit of his dream and if he survived, there was no doubt he'd be arrested. Furthermore, he had no idea how in the world he would orchestrate such a stunt. But it did not matter, Petit went forward with the mindset that success was guaranteed. No hesitation.

Fortunately, few of us need the adrenaline rush of standing on a cable a quarter-mile above the ground. My default nature is to play it fairly safe - to look for the predictable. For me, choosing a new piece of furniture is an exhilarating accomplishment! So, I guess risk is in the eye of the beholder. Regardless, I understand the desire to push oneself beyond comfortable boundaries. It is really the only way to feel alive. Top-notch support team, no safety net, and as Petit admonishes, "live your life on a tightrope."

No comments: