Monday, November 23, 2009

The Tudors

I'm currently working my way through season 2 of the Showtime series The Tudors. I began renting this show after reading The Other Boelyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction in general, but I found the drama surrounding Henry VIII's 16th century reign intriguing.

My favorite part of The Tudors is observing the role of women in the court.
Used as pawns and playthings, cast aside when no longer useful, these women certainly did not have it easy. The television series is surely an overdramatization of the events of the time. But the inferior status of women is historically accurate. How lucky I am that I may own a home, make my own living, and will never be forced into an arranged marriage. While watching, I am simultaneously grateful that I enjoy so much more freedom than these women and in awe of the amount of courage and fortitude that they must've had.

Life in this century can be challenging at times, but I feel fortunate that my heart, mind, and choices are my own.

No comments: